Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Busy Day at the Kitchen


Yesterday was my (Carla's) third time volunteering at the Red Cross's cafe kitchen. Tuesdays are generally quiet days at the cafe. During my first Tuesday volunteering, I only got 4 or 5 orders during my 5 1/2 hour shift. Last week was the same. Yesterday, however, was super busy! The chef left around 5:30, leaving me alone in the kitchen. The moment he stepped out the door, order after order came in. I prepared at least 10 cheese burgers (with fries), 10 orders of Thai chicken curry (with a salad), 10 orders of vegetarian chili, 5 orders of chocolate cake, and a goat cheese salad. All this by myself. It was quite an experience... I felt like I was on a reality TV show like Hell's Kitchen! I even dreamed that I was back in the kitchen last night. Hopefully there will be a second volunteer next time to help with the work load.

No comments:

Post a Comment