Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Though Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in Denmark (the pilgrims headed west, not north-east), Bobby and I still love to celebrate it every year. In fact, it is our favorite holiday! This year was by far the largest Thanksgiving we've hosted, with 14 people in attendance. I started some of the preparations the weekend before: pie crusts, anchovy pastries, cornbread, and cranberry sauce all survive the freezer quite well. On Saturday (we can't celebrate Thanksgiving on the actual Thursday since it's a normal working day for us), the preparations began early (though not as early as the traditional 2 pm dinner calls for). At 7 am, I was rolling the pie dough, assisted by my favorite sous chef, little Iris (Kate and Iris visited us and were able to celebrate the holiday with us).
By 5 pm, we were ready to feast. Kate, Bobby, Iris and I made  corn bread, roasted turkey breast, stuffing with apples and cranberries, gravy, cranberry sauce, kale and apple salad, and the requisite pecan pie and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. We also made a ton of appetizers: roasted fennel and cannellini bean dip, the above mentioned anchovy pastries, smoked duck breast, and a cheese platter. Our guests were kind enough to bring: foie gras and smoked salmon (thanks, Manu!), two different cabbage salads (thanks Olga!), a Waldorf salad (thanks Lene and Jimmy), roasted beet and carrot salad (thanks Thomas and Thomas), and roasted sweet potatoes with marshmallows (thanks Anne-Marie and Dan!). Needless to say, no one went hungry.
Living abroad, we have collected a mixed bunch of friends. Our guests originate from Serbia, France, Denmark, and the States. We love sharing our favorite American traditions with our non-American friends (American brunches, Thanksgiving, and generally huge serving sizes included).
Of the 14 in attendance, 3 were kids. So we of course had a post-dinner, pre-dessert dance party! I'd like to tell myself that we were able to burn off the dinner's calories to make room for dessert, but even I know that I'm just kidding myself. I hope you all had a fun Thanksgiving as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment